CAMEO is committed to increasing microlending in California by supporting our members to expand their capacity, skills, capital resources and technology adoption. CAMEO is creating a new program — the MicroLending Academy.
- Significantly increase microlending among its members. An aspirational goal is five-fold growth.
- Assist members to increase capacity and knowledge of best practices.
- Showcase and support the adoption of technology for operations efficiency and loan production.
- Promote access to capital for disadvantaged entrepreneurs.
- Microenterprise is a pivotal part of job creation and economic development in California.
- Existing organizations meet only about 0.10% of current microfinance needs.
- Microlending has been a high-touch, labor intensive endeavor, making it expensive, suppressing supply.
- New internet-based technology is changing the microlending process, allowing for cost reduction, increased efficiency and volume.
- The new technology is bringing new players into the field, increasing competition for loan ready borrowers.
WHAT IT TAKES
Access to Capital: appropriate for microlending
Serving the Disadvantaged: commitment, practices and products
Technology: tools to lower cost and improve quality
Best Practices: build staff capacity and lending systems
Increased Number of Microloans!
LENDING ACADEMY FEATURES
- E Newsletter: articles, resources, technology, success stories, interviews, big picture ideas on all Lending Academy features
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V1.1 – Inaugural Edition
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V1.2 – Growth of Microlending: Disruption, Adoption
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V2.1 – Excellence in Microlending
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V2.2 – Building Capacity
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V2.3 – Commitment to Scale
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V2.4 – Opportunities to Scale
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V2.5 – MMS Success Year Two: Doubling Loans for Small Lenders
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V2.6 – CAMEO Microlenders Expand
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V3.1 – Launching into the Future
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V3.2 – Lending Gone Wild
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V3.3 – Strengthening the Case for Responsible Lending
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V3.4 – Trends in Microlending; Claudia’s Op-ed in American Banker
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V3.5 – Automated Bank Referrals, Crowdfunding, New Lending Opportunity
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V3.6 – Extra, Extra, Get the MicroLending News Issue
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V4.1 – MLA Newsletter: Important Policy Updates and MMS Keeps Growing
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V4.2 – MLA Newsletter: Micro Sector Policy, Policy and Yes, More Policy
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V4.3 – MLA Newsletter: CAMEO Has Three New Programs to Expand MicroLending!
- Peer Learning: work with peers to strengthen your microloan program; share your insights and innovations
- Peer Learning Call
- Excellence in Lending (EiL): Developing industry wide metrics for California’s microlenders
- Best Practices Training: training opportunities for staff development and lending systems improvement
- Microlending Essentials Training: a 3-day comprehensive training on how to underwrite microloans including hands on case studies and loan analysis
- Loan Policy Manual: Susan Brown, our microlending expert, created Phase I of a Community Loan Policy Manual Workbook to assist community lenders to create fully developed loan policies manual. Lenders of every stripe that address each topic and answer all the questions will have a complete loan manual that reflects a comprehensive approach to the details of running a high-quality program.
- Individual Consulting: receive help to implement new lending processes and all aspects of the Lending Academy
- Training Support: identify training opportunities and provide monetary support for travel expenses
- Technology: CAMEO is partnering with technology developers to provide support and discount.