CAMEO provides training that promotes scale and sustainability of MDOs and to ensure the quality of services to micro-business clients. Training is based on industry best practices. For upcoming trainings visit our calendar.
CAMEO holds a statewide annual member conference. The annual conference provides best practices for Micro Enterprise organizations, explores potential funding sources for Micro Enterprise organizations, and fosters collaboration and networking. As part of the annual meeting, members receive additional training in advocacy and public relations and visit their elected representatives to promote Micro Enterprise in Sacramento.
CAMEO’s Past Training Archive
- Tech Tools: Bringing Business Assistance into the Future June 21, 2018
Technology is changing EVERYTHING. Including business assistance. Our members are having innovative responses to the changing landscape. Learn how several of your peers are developing products and services to respond to the rapid changes in the economy and society.
- Ironing Out the Issues April 19, 2018
With so much going on in Washington and Sacramento, we have gathered our policy friends to keep you informed of all the excitement.
- Intro to Quickbooks Self-Employed May 10, 2017
Many of you work with self-employed independent contractors and freelancers. Many (if not all!) of you know Quick Books. Do you know that Intuit has a product tailor made for the independent freelancers?
- Credit Building Strategies for Entrepreneurs September 22, 2016
Credit building is a powerful tool that helps entrepreneurs take control of their financial lives, establish and grow their businesses, and pursue other asset building goals. In this webinar, Credit Builders Alliance (CBA) will introduce you to the services and support available through CBA membership. In addition, you will learn about the power of credit ...
- Micro Lending Academy: Lending Life Cycle and Technology June 15, 2016
We know that FinTech’s technology led to an explosion of online lending, much of it usurious. Across the country, CDFIs are building their own online platforms for quality community lending — including our own Robert Lopez, COO of Valley Economic Development Corporation in Los Angeles.
- What’s Cooking In A DIY Economy? October 7, 2015
Join us for a webinar that explores why you need an entrepreneurship strategy, and the tools that ensure success. We’ll focus on new business incubator models: kitchen incubators, maker spaces, co-working spots and cooperative incubators.
- Micro Lending Academy: Excellence in Lending Discussion August 27, 2015
CAMEO invites leaders and the big thinkers to a presentation from Opportunity Fund on their lending process. Their process — which does not use high tech algorithms nor online applications — led them to close 1,560 microloans this past year. The business model that allows such scale has elements that leaders in the CAMEO lending ...
- Micro Lending Academy: Advanced Balance Sheets July 8, 2015
Now that we all know what a balance sheet is and how it operates, what type of analysis can we do with it? In this webinar we will review some common balance sheet ratios used by lenders, but then move onto analysis that is useful for business owner management decisions.
- Micro Lending Academy: Balance Sheet Basics June 18, 2015
This webinar, the first of a two-part series, will be an introduction to Balance Sheets accounts, what they mean and how they work together. We have a fun exercise (you can use it in your classes!) that demonstrates how the Balance Sheet changes with each business transaction.
- Micro Lending Academy: Cash Flow Basics May 27, 2015
This webinar will help train your staff on projections and give you a format for teaching projections to your business clients. We’ll answer questions such as: What is a cash flow projection? Why does a business owner need one? How is it different than a P&L projection? We’ll provide a couple of sample spreadsheets to ...
- Micro Lending Academy: Loan Capital Projection Worksheet March 11, 2015
CAMEO has developed a tidy spreadsheet tool to project how much loan fund capital you will need based on loan volume, interest rate and loan loss. On this webinar you will receive a copy and see how it works. We’d like to get your feedback as well, to see if we’ve structured it to meet ...
- Micro Lending Academy: Credit Reports October 30, 2014
Always review a client’s credit report before sending her off to a lender. Learn how to assess the strength of your client’s past use of credit and help them address problems before applying for a loan.
- Micro Lending Academy: Global Cash Analysis October 16, 2014
While some microlenders are willing to lend based on projections, many look at current cash availability to determine debt service capacity. Susan Brown reviews how microlenders look at cash flow when assessing a borrower’s loan request.
- Micro Lending Academy: Profit and Loss Statements October 2, 2014
The Profit & Loss statement is a fundamental business management tool for your clients. What does a lender look for? Susan Brown shows how to view the P&L through a lender’s eyes to help you work more effectively to prepare clients for a loan application.
- Building a Do-It-Yourself Economy August 13, 2014
The nature of our economy is changing and that means our economic development toolkit needs an update. A shift is needed to move from old methods that may have worked for a different economy to a new innovative, creative and flexible method that will work for today’s economy – a method that is based on ...
- Start Microlending the Smart Way June 12, 2014
Have you been thinking about adding microlending to your TA-lead microenterprise organization’s programs? Learn how CAMEO’s Microlending Management System (MMS) project can make a microloan program launch more efficient, lower cost and more successful.
- Small Business Lending Landscape May 21, 2014
Small business owners still struggle to access capital, and women- and minority-owned business have an especially difficult time. One proven strategy for serving hard to reach communities is the use of modest referral fees. By modifying the California Finance Lenders Law to allow business lenders to pay referral fees to their clients and partners ...
- Matched Savings for Entrepreneurs April 28, 2014
CAMEO hosted the AFI Resource Center as they discussed how matched savings programs work and benefit low-income entrepreneurs and microenterprise development organizations. This webinar also showcases the work of a current AFI grantee, the Community Action Partnership (CAP) of Sonoma County, who will share insights on managing an IDA program and supporting low-income entrepreneurs.
- What Healthcare Reform Means for Your California Small Business August 21, 2013
Open enrollment for California’s new healthcare exchange opens in October, and purchasing starts January 2014, so we thought it was a good time to fill you in so that you can teach your clients about their options. This webinar will focus on what the new healthcare law, the Affordable Care Act, means for small businesses. ...
- Inspired Marketing June 26, 2013
How to Creatively and Consistently Communicate to Your Ideal Customers: Before you jump into any marketing strategies (including social media), do you really know what you want to communicate? Joy Taylor presents.
- Working Smart June 26, 2013
How to Understand Your Profit and Loss Statements to Increase the Bottom Line: Numbers tell stories when you know how to read them. In order to be sustainable and thrive, smart entrepreneurs turn to their financial statements to make empowered decisions. Susan Brown presents.
- Capital for New Resource Based Businesses September 27, 2012
– ShadeFund is a national, web-based microloan program (up to $50,000) for green entrepreneurs who use farmland or forestland responsibly. This webinar demonstrates how California microlenders can work together with ShadeFund to ensure that California’s green innovators have access to the capital they need to grow.
- Micro-Business Incubation and Free Rent August 15, 2012
– Learn about KIMCO Realty’s KIMCO Entrepreneurs Year Start (KEYS) Program — an incubator program for entrepreneurs that offers one year of free rent and business counseling.
- Press Releases From A to Z October 25, 2011
– Best practices for writing press releases – when to issue a press release, how to create news, how to write a headline, which other elements to include, to whom to send, how to follow up, and more.
- Running A Successful District Meeting September 14, 2011
– District meetings are a highly effective way for the micro-business sector to advocate on its own behalf. CAMEO’s Heidi Pickman hosts a webinar on how to most effectively leverage your strengths when meeting with a state legislator.
- Writing Tips March 26, 2011
– Writing well is an essential skill in any micro-business’s tool kit. CAMEO’s Heidi Pickman walks through what to look for and what to avoid to make your writing clear, concise and persuasive.
- Cash Flow Projections March 22, 2011
– Susan Brown discusses how cash flow projections can help micro-businesses access financing and improve their success.
- Financial Statements for Loan Packaging February 16, 2011
– What are the critical financial aspects for a loan package? What are lenders looking for? In this webinar Susan Brown looks at these questions from the lender’s perspective.
- Keeping Your Clients Engaged November 17, 2010
– Susan Brown discusses how to keep budding micro-business owners and entrepreneurs engaged through the business development service process.
- Clean Energy: Greening Your Business October 26, 2010
– Our second webinar produced in partnership with Small Business Majority. Hank Ryan explores how the clean energy sector offers economic opportunities for small and micro-businesses.
- California Small Businesses and Healthcare Reform October 9, 2010
– David Chase of Small Business Majority on how the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act affects small and micro-business owners in California, and how Business Development Services providers and microlenders can assist their clients.
- Karen Waksman: Product for Profit August 27, 2010
– Karen Waksman of Product for Profit discusses how micro-businesses and entrepreneurs can sell their products or inventions to retailers. A free webinar provided by CAMEO.
- Dan Beam October 10, 2009
– Doing things they way they’ve always been done is a good way to become irrelevant and behind-the-times. Dan’s gift is in creating a big picture perspective that describes future trends.
- Data Collection Training April 10, 2009
– Data Collection Training from Women’s Initiative: Collecting Data in Critical Times for microbusiness trainers
- Getting the Word Out With Social Media March 24, 2009
– Britt Bravo of Big Vision Consulting on how to use blogs, podcasts and other social media to spread the word about your organization’s cause.
- Create Your Social Media Plan March 20, 2009
– Britt Bravo of Big Vision Consulting on how to plan a social media strategy for your microbusiness or microenterprise support agency.
- Using MicroMentor to Scale Mentoring March 13, 2009
– Presentation from Jeff Jones of MicroMentor on how to scale your mentoring services using MicroMentor.