Student Debt Among Young Entrepreneurs
by Brian Headd
SBA Office of Advocacy
First published November 2014
A quick rundown of the ways that student debt and entrepreneurship interact. Some key findings:
- Student debt is rising.
- Student debt might affect career choices.
- Student debt is rising among the relatively young, while self-employment is declining.
- Households with a self-employed member and student debt were less likely to apply for business loans.
- Business owners with student debt had smaller ventures.
- The self-employed and non-self-employed have similar rates of student debt.
- Student debt for the self-employed differs among races and ethnicities.