That’s why Small Business Saturday® is a welcome boon for the small business community. Created in 2010 by American Express in partnership with the National Trust for Historical Preservation, it established the Saturday after Thanksgiving as a day for holiday shoppers to visit small, brick-and-mortar businesses in their local communities. In the years since then, Small Business Saturday has been embraced by public officials, business associations, nonprofit trade groups, and of course, small business owners all over the country.
Some people consider Small Business Saturday an “artificial” holiday created for PR purposes, but the impact of such publicity for businesses whose marketing budgets can’t compete with large retailers is huge. According to the Small Business Saturday Consumer Insights Survey, an estimated 108 million consumers reported shopping at independently-owned businesses on November 25, 2017. This translated into roughly $12 billion in reported spending.
This year, Small Business Saturday falls on November 24. Start preparing now. Organizations and individuals that support small businesses can become “Neighborhood Champions” and spread the word around their communities. You can also encourage your clients to participate – here are some ideas:
- Let your customers know that you plan to participate in Small Business Saturday. Visit ShopSmall.com/MarketingSupport for free promotional assets, such as ready-made social posts, to show your support.
- For Spanish-speaking business owners and communities, American Express also has Spanish-language marketing materials available.
- Get tips and ideas to plan, prepare, and make the most of Small Business Saturday and the entire holiday season from the SBA.
- Contact your Senator and ask them to co-sponsor the 2018 Small Business Saturday Resolution.
- On November 24, transform your store. Get free merchandise while supplies last to help your business make an impression. Don’t wait — apply for Small Business Saturday merchandise starting Sep 27 at ShopSmall.com/MarketingSupport.